Storing your caravan at a storage site or at home
Storing your touring caravan at a storage site
You should choose a storage site that offers you good security giving you peace of mind. Storage sites should have good lighting, supervision of the site, CCTV cameras and secure locked gates. Many insurance companies stipulate certain security requirements when storing your caravan. Learn more about our security requirements in our Policy Wording.
Many insurance companies offer discounts if you store your caravan at a safe and secure site such as a CaSSOA site. www.insurance4mycaravan.co.uk offers a storage discount on our insurance policies see our Touring Caravan Insurance page for more information.
Storing your touring caravan at home
If you store your caravan at home, insurance companies often have security requirements detailed in Policy Wording but many also give discounts for security devices. See our Touring Caravan Insurance page for more information about which discounts may be available to you and for our Policy Wording.
- Immobilise your caravan - hitchlocks and wheel locks AL-KO Secure wheel locks are commonly used.
- Fit an alarm and tracker.
- Motion sensitive / PIR security lighting - these activate with any movement around your caravan and are recognised as a good theft deterrent.
- Remove all personal belongings from your caravan and keep them secure inside your house. This includes all documentation - keep this safely locked away in your house.
- Open cupboards and curtains so that thieves can see that you are not hiding anything. Keep gas cylinders out of sight from thieves.
- Locking winter wheels - If you can, remove your wheels and replace with locking winter wheels - this makes it much harder for thieves to steal your caravan plus your tyres are then protected ready for the caravan season.